Doolittle Ranch

Welcome!

Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year

Happy New Year everyone, I sure don't know where this last year went. I can't believe it has been over a week since I have even thought about updating this blog.

We had a really quiet Christmas eve, Christmas day we went over to some friends for a huge turkey feast and visited most of the day there, came home and took dogs for a walk and then vegged out for the rest of the night.
Boxing day Steve and Tanya came for a visit, haven't seen them since their wedding in August and they brought their whole album which included their honeymoon pictures which we hadn't seen yet. They gave us a bunch of pictures in one frame so that gives me incentive to rearrange all the pictures and make a family picture wall something I have been meaning to do for a long time.

Our neighbor (the one with all the cattle and horses) hurt his back really bad so was finding it very difficult to keep up with all the feeding so Nick and Steve went over each morning to help him. I have been helping out when Nick has to work and although it is hard work it is fun to see all the calves, cows, bulls and horses. It was hard work as pail after pail has to be filled with crushed grain and distributed among them. Then each group has to have their watering holes chopped open. We started at nine thirty each morning and didn't finish most days until 12:30 or so. You think you are in good shape until you wake up the next day and realize you had used muscles you didn't even know you had.

He seems to be better now and don't think he will need any more help but it was fun to help and certainly was a learning experience watching a veteran rancher at work. He has two border collies who are invaluable. When a gate is opened they immediately move the cows back from the gate and keep them away from the opening allowing us to move in and out safely. They are incredible to watch and fearless even when dealing with the bulls. My little couch potatoes are so spoilt compared to those guys.

The rest of the time we spent playing games, watching movies, sitting by a fire and just hanging out, the time flew by. I think they were happy to be heading home to the big city though as don't think ranch life would be for them and I know city life wouldn't be for me so there you go.

This was awesome to sit out by a fire with no snow on the 28th of December.

New years eve we had friends over and we just hung out and played a few games of rummy-o and then they headed home as we all had to get up early the next day. After they left we watched a bit of TV and then headed for bed shortly after midnight so really not at very exciting start to the year but at least we didn't suffer from hurting heads!....
Just after dinner on New Years eve I was doing the proper thing and picking my teeth with dental floss and a filling fell right out. I was scared to even open my mouth for fear of pain but so far so good. Guess I will have to make an appointment and go and see someone before it does. I think there must be just a bit of filling left and is probably just barely covering the nerves. I really am the worlds biggest chicken when it comes to drilling and filling, in fact just the sound of the drill gives me nightmares.

Last night some friends dropped out and ended up staying for supper and a few games of guess? rummy-o of course.
They had never played before so they ended up being hooked and it won't surprise me a bit to hear that they bought one. Too funny as that is how we ended up with it after playing with some friends last Christmas.

I got to go hang out with the miniature horses today as their owner had to go away over night. Boy I miss seeing those guys all the time, they are so darn cute.

Would you believe we still have no snow to speak of, tons of frost though so it is absolutely beautiful out there when the sun shines on the frosted trees and with the blue sky behind it is breathtaking.






Wish I had a better zoom lens on my camera, the dogs were having a blast running yesterday and think they are enjoying all this nice weather too. In the distance you can see one spot on the right and one sort of in the middle at the back, that is Shiloh and Mojo. Mixer tends to stay right beside me, do you suppose it is cause I usually have treats?

1 comment:

Doolittle Ranch said...

Hi there india, I missed chatting with you too and will go check your blog out right after I post this.
I love reading your blog so informative and interesting.
I wasn't on line last night at all, I was out most of the day and by last night I was too pooped to sit at the computer so ended up falling asleep on the chair by Nine, yes Nine and then went to bed around 11, terrible eh. Must be the age ha ha