Sorry for not posting sooner but really haven't been in the mood to sit and write. I read everyone else's blogs and think how well written, organized and entertaining they are. Mine are so boring in comparison. But oh well that is the way it is and it isn't like people don't have a choice to read or not to read....
Saturday morning we took the dogs for the usual walk, had breakfast and then hubby climbed under the place to see what was going on with the water. Sure enough there were some small pin hole leaks right in the same area that he had to fix last year. We were both happy to see the water there though, as the alternative would have been a leak under the ground somewhere which would involve digging up the yard again. He was able to cut a piece off and re-clamp it (another temporary fix) because the ground is frozen and to be able to fix it properly he will have to dig way down and join them, so hopefully it will hold now until spring again.
Later on hubby helped me saddle up the girl and we took her around the property a couple of times. She started out fairly nervous but overall did very well and we only had a bit of a hard time getting her out of the yard. Mystery sure doesn't help as she keeps calling Prettygirl.
It was a bizarre feeling being on her back when she was answering Mystery, her whole body shakes but she kept on walking, sidestepping instead of going forward. Finally we made it out of the yard and were on our way.
Sunday we saddled her up again and went around a few times, then went over to Al and Jills and worked with her in the shed for awhile. Al had to tune her up a few times as I guess she tried to kick the horse that he was riding as he came up behind us. He got on her and made her turn and canter and worked on her neck reining. After that "Miss attitude" settled down a bit then we rode home.
The saddle is a roping saddle and very heavy, when I try to lift it up and put it on her back she sidesteps and I miss so I hold her and hubby lifts it up. I am going to try putting her against the wall next time so that she won't have anywhere to go and see if I can do by myself, I hate having to be dependent on someone all the time. I might give it a go later today. Now when she sees me coming with the halter she runs and I have to follow her around and around until she finally lets me approach her with it. This is ok as it gets both of us warmed up!
We still have so much to learn and I read "how to" articles as much as I can. I am going to try and bring her to watch team penning this week. She has never been loaded in a trailer before and having to watch the other horses working will all be good training for her. This is if Al will be willing to give up some of his time to help me load her, so far he has been wonderful but hate to keep asking him for help as he is always so busy and this is his time to relax and work with his horses.
I have had a very lazy week so far and made the mistake of getting into reading and have finished one book and now am reading the second. It is "house of sand and fog" and so far am really enjoying it. When I finish this one I think I will be read out again for awhile. Funny how I go in stages of reading and then not again for a long time.
Well that is all the exciting news from the ranch for awhile, have a great day all.
Thursday, January 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thank you for your encouragement and kind words about my blog. Funny when I first started it I wrote mostly for myself, kind of like a log I could look back on occasionally, now I am using it to keep family and friends updated. I love reading yours and a few others and always feel that they are so informative and well written. My treat every morning is to grab a cup of java and check them out. Keep on writing!
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said I should just hang out with the horses to see how to interact with them. I have learnt so much already and know I still have lots to learn. I went to team penning last night and just being able to hang out with horse people helps too, they are so helpful with hints and stuff.
Post a Comment