Woke up this morning to +7 on the thermometer and really strong winds so imagine the snow is going fast. I am not complaining as each day above 0 is one day closer to spring and one day where the furnace isn’t pumping like crazy.
Friday night Al came over with his horse trailer and we loaded Prettygirl in. This was the first time that she had been in a trailer so she was really nervous and after a great deal of coaching kind of leaped in, chipping her back hoof. Mac and Waylon (handsome boys) were already in there and this was probably the incentive she needed to do such a scary thing, she is such a floozy.
We went over to the arena for team penning and brought her in with the boys and tied her up so she could watch the events. Al had brought Waylon for me to ride and he hadn’t been ridden for quite some time so he was full of pep. I have never ridden him before and at first he was hard to control. I find out later that this horse was used in fast competitions so that would explain why he thought he had to go fast; even though he is 25 years old he can still go. Took me quite awhile to convince him that I just wanted to take it easy (mostly just to stay on his back) before he settled down to a much slower pace. We didn’t win any prizes and only penned our cows twice in the whole night. At one point we had almost the whole herd heading down, if more then four cross the line you are disqualified. It is definitely harder then it looks, some of the teams make it look so easy. Everyone seemed to be in it for the fun so didn’t take it too serious when mistakes were made.
During the break I got to ride Prettygirl around the arena. Talk about nervous, she kept seeing her own shadow and was spooked about that, then she heard a noise behind the walls and that did it. The cows are put there during half time so they can have a break, she couldn’t see them at first and then when she did she didn’t seem to know what they were. Well there is no way she was going down that end for me again. Al took her for a bit and made her go but she was still pretty spooky about it but better when he was riding her.
Maybe she thought they were black bears waiting to get her (the cows are all black), very scary! Everything was so new to both of us but it was such a great learning experience. When we loaded her to go home we made her step into the trailer instead of leaping and same with taking her off the trailer at home. Well she was one happy horse to get the saddle off and Mystery was very happy to have her friend home again.
Saturday we went shopping to Drayton Valley and didn’t get home until late afternoon.
Sunday I saddled her up early afternoon and took her out the back for a bit and then over to Al and Jill’s. Al was going to be starting a new horse called King and his son Brian came over to help him. Al got on and Brian (riding Buddy) led them around and around teaching him to go and whoa. I was amazed at how fast King picked it up and by the end of an hour Al was riding him on his own following Prettygirl and I around. I wish I had that kind of talent with horses.
Anyway that was my weekend and so we begin another week, take care all.

1 comment:
Oh I love your description better about her breaking a nail!, God forbid, yes she is such a floozy, you should see her bat her eyes at the boys and when I was riding her around in front of King I guess she was lifting her tail, (she is more then likely in heat). Poor guy he was trying to be so good too.
Post a Comment