Doolittle Ranch

Welcome!

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Updates

We have had a busy but very fun weekend and most of it involved horses, yeah!!

Friday night we were invited to go watch team penning which is a popular sport involving three horses and riders who have to cross a starting line, and head towards a herd of cattle. The cattle, each wear a number from 0-6. As the riders move towards the herd the announcer calls out a number and then two riders stay back a bit and one goes into the herd and cuts out three cattle wearing that number. Once they are cut from the herd the riders drive them down to the far end of the arena and put them in a three sided pen. They have ninety seconds to accomplish this. Once the cattle are penned the riders raise their arms in the air to call for time.
This sounds easy but each run the cows seemed to get smarter and more determined to go back to the main herd. We watched them outwit the riders many times towards the end. It was awesome to watch and of course made us more determined then ever to ride Prettygirl.
Al our neighbor whom we had gone with was determined to get his shed ready to start working with some of his horses as well.

Al lent us a saddle but it needed a new latigo strap, so I phoned the tack shop and went and got one put on first thing Saturday morning. We had been invited to go for supper that night so we didn't have time to put it on her and decided that Sunday would be the day.
We had a really nice visit with our friends Dan, Jen and James and as he had just gotten a new barbecue for Christmas he wanted to try it out so of course we were willing guinea pigs.... ha ha. I am a sucker for barbecued steak. After a really nice meal we sat around and played TV poker for quite awhile. Never got home until quite late and then of course stayed up longer to watch a movie.

This morning we got up early, took the dogs for a walk, made breakfast and then went out to put the saddle on Chubby as we affectionately call her.

I wish I had the camera ready for the look on her face when she spotted us coming around the corner carrying the saddle and all the gear. It was priceless. I had to walk around after her for quite awhile before she would let me put the halter on her. Normally when she hasn't seen a saddle she is easy to catch and halter. We got the saddle and bridle on her and just worked her on the ground leading her around and practicing whoa, walking and light trot.

Then I climbed on and went around a few times, she decided to start giving me a bit of attitude and when I went to correct her I noticed that the saddle had slipped. This was the first time I put the saddle on her and tightened it up by myself. We called Al and walked her over there and he showed me what I had done wrong, I hadn't doubled the strap and so therefore it was too slippery and kept loosing off. Once tightened properly it worked like it should. Al had already saddled up another horse (Buddy) who is a seasoned 20 year old, Al rode Prettygirl and I rode Buddy, then I switched off with hubby. Prettygirl was doing alright so I got to ride her and we just went around and around practicing turning and stopping etc. Hubby then got on her, I got on Buddy and Al had by then brought in Max (one of the new ones he wants to works with) and the three of us went around and around for about an hour. Al opened the doors and we went outside for a ride and to chase some cows to a new pen.
We were amazed at how well Prettygirl did and it was if she just automatically new what to do. We never got home until after dark and boy was she a happy camper to get that saddle off, she shook and shook and when I released her she ran right over to the hay and started chowing down. Mystery was really happy to see us and as we were heading home we could hear her calling Prettygirl.

What a great day for all of us, Hubby said "well that made it worthwhile feeding her for the last year". Now I guess the trick is to keep putting hours on her so that she and we get used to riding together and maybe one day we too can try team penning.
This was hubbies first time being able to ride her and only my second time so we are pretty happy and now the push will be on to get another horse so that we can ride together.
Think we are hooked.

So that is all for now, I think I am going to sign off and go sit in a comfortable chair..... Night all.

1 comment:

Doolittle Ranch said...

Yes it was a really fun weekend and wish they could all be like that.

I laughed at your story about your horse and the yawning routine. I think it is so funny to see a horse yawn anyway. I bet you miss that sometimes but at least you have the great memories.

I am so envious of any one that got to grow up on horses as they all seem so natural at it. We still have so much to learn, probably way more than Prettygirl as she seemed to already know what to do and was natural at moving the cows.
Anyway have a great day talk soon, Barb