Doolittle Ranch

Welcome!

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Saturday

I can't believe it is already Saturday, the days have just flown by since posting last.

Al came to visit on Thursday and got here around noon, just in time to have a quick bite to eat, shower and then go to the vets with me. Mixer's blood test came back showing a low Thyroid but they ran one more test and seems that his pituitary gland that should be showing high is showing normal. We had three choices: one to wait and see if he got better on his own or Two, put him on Thyroid meds and see if that helped or three to take more blood and have more extensive tests run to see what might be causing his Thyroid to be so low and then put him on the meds. That is the option we went with, we started his medicine on Thursday afternoon and we should have the results of the blood work in two weeks (it has to go all the way to Ontario for testing). Apparently he should show improvement in the next couple of weeks, will have to wait and see I guess. I worry though as he has been so lethargic and not himself at all.

While we were at the vets I asked Anne (our vet) if she would take a quick peek at Shiloh's leg. Of course I was embarrassed as I should have taken her in for stitches, but Anne said it looked fine and that it was healing well so that was reassuring news.


Mojo is doing really well now and is recovering fast, it is getting harder to keep her quiet now and I still have her on leash whenever we go outside. I am sure when we are able to finally release her she will tear around for an hour or so. She will be a ball of pent up energy! I love the disgusted look she gives me when I put the leash on her, you can almost see her thinking " I can go on my own".

Well the girls can't stand prosperity and are back to having to stay in their pasture. The other day I had let them out for awhile and they kept hanging around the house and the cars, I kept shooing them away out to the back where the grass is really long, but do you think they would stay out there?, No of course not, I found myself jumping up and going to check to see what they were into, then the final straw came when I looked out the window and I saw little Mystery laying in the freshly turned over garden on her back with all four legs stuck in the air and she wasn't moving!. Talk about freak out, I thought she was dead, I rushed for my boots and coat and got the door open then I saw her moving around and finally got herself up. I think what happened was she went to do a roll and because the ground was so soft she got stuck on her back. Man that gave me a fright as so many thoughts went through my head like " How are we going to bury her, the ground is frozen and how lonely Prettygirl would be without her". Nothing like jumping to conclusions suddenly eh. Thankfully it was ok but it has left me wondering what we would do if one of them passes in the winter time. I talked to my neighbor about it and she said that they have lost cattle that way, they roll over and can't get back on their feet and if no one is there to rope their legs and pull them over they perish.
Scary. Then later I looked out and there they were trying to get into the compost pile, it consists of horse crap and grass clippings which could kill them if they eat too much of that. As soon as I saw that I got my boots on, led them into the corral and there they stay until we can get that part fenced off and safe for them, won't be until spring now though. It isn't like they are really too hard done by, they have probably about 7 acres now to pasture on.

We got snow this afternoon so guess there goes our nice weather, and all I can say is "moan, whine, snivel,complain", not that it does any good but makes me feel better. Not really but what the hey.

I asked husband to take a look at our Christmas lights, last year we bought those new led lights that the bulbs are supposed to last so many thousand hours, ha ha right!, well two strands 70 in each aren't working so half the house has lights the other half doesn't. Guess he wants to wait until it is a snow blizzard before going to do it or something cause every time I mention it nothing happens. I would do it myself but am to chicken to get up on the ladder without someone holding it. Oh well it will get done, right?

Well that is all the news in my little world for now

1 comment:

Doolittle Ranch said...

The horses do roll quite a bit and usually get right up but think because the garden had just been freshly tilled (to try and get the weed roots exposed to the frost)it was way to soft and when she rolled on her back she sunk in and then created a dip for herself. When I went and checked later there was an indent right where she had been. Funny but could have been not so funny.

Hubby did get up on the ladder yesterday and checked the connections but at that time I hadn't found the replacement bulbs, since then I have, so guess it is going to take time to go through and find out which one has burnt out....Grr, I never would have bought them if I realized they were the tpye that if one bulb burns out they don't work. Oh well live and learn.