Well here it is Tuesday already and before you know it this week will be over as well.
I am sitting here in a very quiet house tonight. Al and family left around noon today and I must admit I am loving the peace and quiet (so are the animals!). I really enjoyed spending time with the kids and Devon was a wonderful walking partner and sure did miss him this afternoon. I have never met a child with as much imagination as he has and he kept me entertained with such things as tree monsters, snow monkeys, grass monkeys and evil lurking everywhere.
I did end up going team penning last Friday night and didn't do very well. I think we penned our cows only once and only got two instead of three. The horses were having a weird night or maybe I was and they picked up on my mood. We got there late so everyone was partnered up into teams already so think we kind of disrupted everything. Waylon was tossing his head and didn't seem to want to listen to me, then we have Prettygirl...... Well that is a story in itself. There were a group of people there that I hadn't seen before and were they ever competitive.
They obviously do this all the time and had a system worked out and were very aggressive about achieving the goal. So much so, that at one point one of the guys chased a cow right into the wall and just missed hitting it himself. In previous weeks it seemed like everyone was in it more for the fun but that night everyone seemed edgy, maybe they were picking up on the mood set by this group.
I sure hope it isn't like that every week as I liked the " just in it for fun" group better.
At half time I went and put the bridle on Prettygirl and worked with her for a bit. She was extremely nervous and jumpy, although was brave enough to go check out the cows without throwing a complete fit. She was not listening at all and kept shaking her head and body and was coughing. I am not sure if it was an act or if she had a dry throat from the hay. Anyway it was a fight the whole time. When I was leading her back to tie her up we had to pass behind all the other horses and she bolted almost running me over. Al said later that before we bought her she had been in with a stud horse and that she would have to protect herself so that was why she was so scared passing behind all the other horses. Then at the end when I was leading her through the doorway to go outside she freaked and jumped ahead suddenly and almost ran me over. The only thing I could see that scared her was a yellow wheel barrel sitting just outside the door. Guess it was going to jump out and bite her or something. I had to lead her back through and then out again. I must say I was happy to see the end of that night. It has been so mild and slippery out that I haven't saddled her up since. I will give it another try Friday night.
We didn't do too much for the rest of the weekend except run after the two year old. Amazing how you forget how busy they are. By the time the kids would go to bed at night we were too pooped to do much and didn't even have a fire this time. Usually we sit around a campfire at least one night. Oh well another time I guess.
Well that is all I can manage to post for tonight, going to go veg in front of the TV for a bit then head to bed early.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment