Well has it ever cooled off here now and it is a refreshing change from all that heat. I really hope we get some sunny days again soon though as hubby starts vacation Monday and would be nice if he had some nice days. He will be home tonight and he is so looking forward to time off, almost a month. I will be keeping him busy though, got to build a chicken coop, cause yes, we are getting chickens. Probably ten of them! Hubby has been pushing for them since we moved here but I have always been a bit reluctant as I know who the cleaning of them is going to fall to. I ran into a friend last week and we went for lunch and she confessed that she had bought far to many chickens and that she was going to have to build a larger coop and run for them so I asked if she would rather just sell me some of them. She was really happy about that and another friend is going to give me the feeders, water troughs thingies, chicken wire, the boxes for them to nest in and a rail (forget what you call it) for them to sit.
Hoping to have it all ready to go pick them up by mid August and should be a learning experience. I will have to call upon my sister lots for help as have never raised chickens before, they are laying hens not for eating.
I had a bluesy day on Wednesday it was one year ago on the 26th that Ruffy went to the bridge. He was my 17 year old toy poodle and had been my little shadow ever since getting him when he was two years old. He had been bred by a not so responsible breeder and spent the first few months of his life cooped up in a little cage and when my friend Cecile rescued him he had no muscles in his little back legs and it took her a long time to gain his trust. He was very frightened of everyone especially men. I took him home and it took me quite a few months to gain his trust and after that he was my devoted little man. He followed me every where and used to sit on the back of the couch and wait for me to get home from work. Anyway I am going to do special pages for him and one for Brina our other little toy poodle who went to the bridge two years ago on the 6th of July as well as Keno who went in May of 2003 suddenly. I will get at those pages one of these rainy days.
I am dog sitting for a friend for three days, the dog's name is Tundra a border collie x and at just over a year old he has tons of energy. Even Mojo is having a hard time keeping up to him something I never thought I would see. He came here at just after five last night and has settled in so well that you would think he belongs here. He has cats at his house so even Sam seems fairly relaxed around him.
I was meant to go help move cattle yesterday but it was cancelled due to the rain and lack of interest in chasing cows in the rain. Good thing cause Prettygirl was in a mood yesterday and was acting like an idiot, jumping around bucking and kicking any time anyone was paying attention to her. Don't know maybe she was just happy it has cooled off as well. We are supposed to go later on today but now with the rain I am not sure if it will happen or not.
Well that is all my news from the ranch, take care all.
Saturday, July 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Hey there, yeah I know eh. I guess in one way I am just as excited as hubby is to get them. I have been looking after my neighbors chickens and they are actually really cool to watch. Yesterday I spent about 20 minutes just watching them.
I really hope you guys get some rain soon, we have had a little bit here but the farmers are still complaining that the crops are turning brown. Never can make farmers happy though....ha ha
Yes I am looking forward to hubby's vacation as since we have moved here we have never had such a nice long stretch to just do what we want to do when we want to do it. You are right I probably won't be on here too much. Take care.
Story has a good book on Chickens - and I love the fresh eggs. Ours are in a pasture area - so clean up has really been a non issue. So anxious to hear about it !
Post a Comment