Doolittle Ranch

Welcome!

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Sort of a catch up post

Well I must apologise for not keeping this blog up to date. I had such great intentions but somehow never made the time to sit down and update, then it seemed so much time passed that I contemplated giving it up. I did have a nice note from the fifth floor wondering what had happened to me. Anyway I really don't have any good excuses except that I have been really busy with work at work and work at home.

Well let me see.....

First a Mixer update, he didn't end up healing all that well and he still has an open area that he keeps licking and now has a large lump on his front elbow. He got very sick as well and was bleeding from the nose so took him into the vet and they did all kinds of tests but couldn't find anything. They said it was more then likely a tumor growing in his nose but to test for it we would have to take him to Edmonton and this would cost a whole bunch of money and then maybe they wouldn't be able to do anything anyway.
This was right around the time with the poisoned dog food and I had switched him to Science Diet (Diet food) about a month prior to the bleeding nose , so I took him off it just in case. After about a week the bleeding seemed to stop so I still don't know if it was the food or just one big coincidence. Anyway I keep thinking that each day we have with him is a bonus. The vet did try to prepare me.

I have been going on a few cattle runs with Prettygirl and have started working with Copper when I get the chance. I took them to a Gymkhana last Sunday and Prettygirl did all the events really well and made me proud of her. When we were done I took Copper into the arena to introduce her to the equipment and she seemed fairly steady.







Our eldest son and I took Prettygirl and Copper out for a ride and he did awesome with Copper. She didn't want to go at first but he was patient and kept turning her in the direction we wanted to go and eventually she went and we had a nice ride. It really doesn't help having Link crying like a big baby and calling her. She gets so torn and really wants to go back to Link. We did separate the horses about two months ago and Link is with Mystery and Copper and Prettygirl are together. We have to cross fence though so they won't be able to visit over the fence as it is still like they are together.

I finally got my garden planted and it is up but now the weeds have really grown so we are going to have to til it soon maybe tomorrow if it stays dry. We have had so much rain in the last while that the ground is saturated.

Our grand kids have been here to visit twice now and talk about a busy three year old. We babysat for a weekend and by the end of it I was ready to pass them back to their parents.... The three year old is scared of Nothing and wanted to ride the horse by himself, was running around on his brother's quad (even though his feet don't touch the bottom).





Anyway I also had a birthday in June and now am a whole year older, some days I feel more then my 49 and others I feel like I am still a teenager... as if!
I got a wonderful Mother's Day, Birthday, Christmas and any other occasions gift. A Ride On Lawn Mower! Man talk about saving time. What used to take me three days of about 6-8 hours each day I can do in one day now!. It is a 27 horse power with a 52 inch cutting deck so a real time saver. Now I don't groan every time I see the grass growing.




Yesterday we started expanding the chicken yard and of course ran out of chicken wire so had to make a trip to Spruce Grove to pick some up. Not too many places open on Canada Day but good old Home Depot was. When we got home we finished it off and the chickens are happy campers.

Anyway I will post a few pictures and try to post more often.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention my neighbour that has the miniature horses has a new baby. Hesa is the dad and Trixie is the Mom. Hesa is only two and Don didn't think that he would be able to produce yet but he sure fooled everyone. The new baby's name is Paddy.







2 comments:

Mahala said...

I joke around all the time that since I can't have a standard horse, that I'm going to get a mini one and keep it in the house like a puppy.

Ma and the Amazon won't go for it lol.

Doolittle Ranch said...

LOL, I know what you mean, I want to just go kidnap that little one. She is so darn cute and the daddy well what can I say he is still my favorite. I know you shouldn't pick favorites but can't help it I have watched him grow up and now is a Daddy....