Well I have been meaning to sit at this computer and get some updates done but it has been so hot. We are really not used to having heat in the high 20's early 30's and I seem to not handle it very well at all. 20 -24 is ideal for me but I keep thinking back to that crappy cold winter we had and remember longing for some heat so I won't complain.....(much)!
The other night just before bed I looked out the window to make sure the chickens had all gone to bed and suddenly realized that all four horses were together. I went out right away to see how they managed that and here they must have been rubbing up against the corral fence and knocked a big section over. Well it was pretty dark by then so had to drag it all off to the side just to make it safe for them. In the morning we realized that we would have to buy a bunch of posts and redo the whole corral as it is very old and most of the posts are starting to rot.
The front pasture has no shelter so therefore we had to leave them together as they need somewhere to get out of the sun and bugs. So yesterday we decided to build a shelter in the front pasture so that we could separate them again, so in the +32 weather we put up the frame. By the end of the day we were so heat exhausted that we decided to leave putting on the tin until today and cleaned up and turned the horses back out so they could investigate it.
Just before bed last night I looked out again and the sky was being lit up by an electrical storm which was getting really close. I was just about to turn away when a big one hit and lit up the whole back yard exposing four horses cruising around the back yard by the pool!. Great, so out I went and sure enough silly me had forgot to shut the corral gate and they were happily munching on all that green grass. Luckily they followed me out to where they were supposed to be so gave them grain as a treat and headed back in the house. I was in about twenty minutes when the storm arrived and talk about a light show. Dry lightening for about 20 minutes and then a huge wind bringing rain. Had to get up and shut all the windows therefore making the house even more stuffy so laid there and waited until it passed and got up again to open the windows. I think it was close to 3 in the morning by then, but seeing that we had two power outages I am not really sure of the time. Meanwhile Shiloh lay shivering on the bed beside me and Sammy lay curled up by my neck. Lovely if you are cold but when you are so hot already it kind of gives you a claustrophobic feeling but didn't have the heart to kick Shiloh off the bed. Don't know why she has suddenly developed such a fear of thunder, she has been fine all these years but just in the last year she is frightened beyond belief.
Anyway to make a long story short all is well here this morning and did manage to get a few hours sleep so will sign off and tackle another day at the ranch. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.... Stay cool.
Sunday, July 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment