Doolittle Ranch

Welcome!

Friday, July 06, 2007

Friday night update

Well here we are at the end of another week and this one flew by.

We had a great July 1st long weekend and then hubby left on Tuesday morning to head off to Lethbridge and my sister and niece came for a visit. My sister had to go back on Wednesday morning for an appointment so she left my niece here for a couple of days. It was in the high 20's early 30's all week and tonight had some showers so has cooled off nice. My niece was such a huge help and we enjoyed working for awhile then lounging by the pool reading. She really reminds me of myself when I was her age, she just turned 10. She is a real animal lover and loves reading and I loved having her here.


Lilly collecting eggs, one of her daily chores while she was here visiting.


Lilly and Mojo down by the pond.


I had promised her that I would saddle up Copper and Prettygirl and take her for a ride so yesterday morning headed out fairly early so we could beat the heat and caught Prettygirl with no trouble at all, tied her up and went back in to get Copper. She took one look at that halter and headed off in the opposite direction. Well the game began and I had to follow her around for over three hours before she finally gave up and let me walk up to her. By then the temperatures had reached 28 Celsius and we were both dripping wet. Talk about a stubborn girl, I couldn't believe how much stamina she had and I kept telling her that I wasn't giving up so she should but at one point I did consider giving it up. Thank God for Lilly, she kept running to the house and getting me large glasses of water and passed them in on one of my many trips around the corral. I am just hoping that from now on Copper will realize that I might be more stubborn than she is.

Well by the time I did catch her I was so heated up and exhausted that I just tied her up in the shelter where it was cool and saddled Prettygirl up and took Lilly for a short ride then headed in for lunch. I of course was stupid enough to start chasing this horse with crappy shoes so ended up with pretty sore feet. I had the same go around with Prettygirl when I first started riding her but the most time I ever had to spend chasing her around was just over an hour.
The rest of the afternoon we spent sitting in the shade, dipping in the pool and reading. Lilly read a whole book while I alternated between reading and snoozing.

Hubby got home late last night from Lethbridge and it was in the high thirties and his room wasn't properly air conditioned so he decided to drive home at the end of the day. By the time we ended up going to bed it was still so hot in the house that sleeping was impossible so watched one of my favouite movies, "What about Bob". I love that show it makes me laugh every time I watch it.

This morning I cleaned out the horse shelter and gave them fresh straw while hubby made a dump run and then for the rest of the day we just hung out by the pool and had a real lazy day. A person needs those sometimes.

This handsome little guy was born a week ago, his name is Pepper and they are hoping he will be turn out to be a blue roan. He is our neighbors little foal and they invited us over to meet him. He comes right up to you and loves to be scratched so friendly for a baby and Lilly was excited to be able to pat him.

Anyway take care all have a great weekend.




No comments: