Well what a week!
On Saturday (a week ago tomorrow) I noticed Mixer's incision getting infected. On Sunday I called the vet as it was really quite swollen and was oozing a bit. They told me to bring him in on Monday and by then it was really swollen and the stitches were starting to separate. They gave him ten days of penicillin and a cone to wear. That night I put the cone on him and by morning he had thrashed around so much that the two stitches in the middle stitches had broken and exposed quite a large area. I talked to the clinic again and they told me to keep it clean and to keep putting polysporin on it as they can't re-stitch. So I am still cleaning it a few times a day and we have already gone through two full tubes of polysporin.
Now I am going to complain for a few minutes.
I wish I would have been better informed before letting them do this surgery on him. Apparently because he is hypothyroid healing is delayed! And for the size of his incision I think there should have been several more stitches then the six they used to close a 6 inch cut! Anyway not much I can do now except watch him slowly heal and swear that if I have to deal with something like this again I will make sure I ask a lot more questions. Also I learned that if you are going to have major surgery done on your pet make sure your favourite vet is going to be the one to do it. Our Vet recommended that he have the lump removed but then went on maternity leave.
I have also had the flu all week and just started feeling better yesterday.
That was my vent for now.
On a lighter note we got our Internet satellite hooked up on Tuesday and oh so nice! I don't think I could possibly ever go back to dial up after this. All three of our computers are hooked up now and must say it has relieved so much stress with hubby trying to work from home as well.
As an example it took him over an hour to send one power point presentation he had done via dial up and using the satellite it took just four minutes. Talk about a huge difference.
Well it is Friday night and I am pooped so am going to go stretch out on my chair and watch TV (maybe with my eyes closed). Have a great weekend all.
Oh yeah the weather has turned really nasty and we are supposed to get some ice rain tonight, yeah!

2 comments:
It's an awful thing to have to worry about our animals; I am sorry Mixer is having so much trouble! It does sound like they are doing all the can, though.
Faster internet is wonderful! I can't imagine having it any other way; we expect our Internet to be available right now and it always surprises me to find others that still use dial-up.
Today is supposed to be the nicest of the weekend - I'll enjoy the sunshine and relative warmth - and next week, even warmer. Spring is here!
Hey there. Mixer seems better and just have to resign myself to the fact that it is going to take a long time to heal and to make the best of it.
Today was beautiful and as I sit and type this it is still showing +12, nice for here. We had a few drinks sitting by the fire so nice to be outside again.
Take care, Barb
Post a Comment