Doolittle Ranch

Welcome!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Chick chick chickens!

Well they are here, I went to get them at 7:30 last night and by the time I got home it was quarter to nine and almost dark. Hubby had got home from work late and went right out to put a top on it as I had seen a chicken hawk sitting on a branch earlier in the day. Amazing how they know, they must recognize a coop or something. They were in boxes when I arrived so didn't get to see them and when I got home I just let them out of the box in the coop and locked them in for the night. It was too dark to really see them properly.

This morning I anxiously went out to let them out. Talk about cute, they seem to have settled in really well and have explored their new digs and got to meet the dogs and the cat. I had to really get after the dogs as they seem to think they would be fun to chase. (Guess they think they are grouse or something as they chase those when we are walking)

I spent about an hour out there sitting on a chair with the dogs and the chickens finally came out again and every time the dogs went to chase they got yelled at. Yes I did yell at them! Sam even came to check out what all the fuss was about but seemed to get bored with it in a big hurry. I have been watching the dogs really carefully since then and spend a lot of time running to the window to see where the dogs are. Guess things will settle down in a few days and they will loose interest in the chickens. Must say I am getting a real laugh out of them so far, they are just so busy all the time and at the least sign of trouble they are all rushing for the in-door on the coop. There are four brown ones, three black ones and three white ones. Haven't been able to get a picture of all ten at once yet but here are a couple of them.

Introducing some of the newbies to the Doolittle ranch









Anyway that is all for today as want to go watch them for awhile more.

No comments: