Doolittle Ranch

Welcome!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Catch up post

Well it is about time I sit my butt down at this computer and catch up on everything around here.

I will start with my parents stopping in on their way to the funeral. They came bearing lots of goodies such as home made zucchini relish (the best ever), jams, jellies, salmon and tons of other goodies. They also gave me a very generous gift to be able to purchase a saddle. Man I couldn't believe it, my own saddle. Anyway I will fill you in on that in this post.

On the way home from the funeral my sister joined my parents and came for the night, we went into Mayberry for a pizza and Mom insisted on treating everyone. It was awesome to go out for a meal. I hardly ever eat out now that we live so far from town. Mom and Dad pulled out very early the next morning and Sister stayed for the day. We saddled up Prettygirl and I led niece around.

I was saddling up Prettygirl and looked around and there she was with her arm around Mystery.



She seems to have a natural talent with animals and they all trust her. I love these pictures my sis took of her. Can you tell Mojo is her favorite?, they are usually inseparable while she is here.





My garden is doing well and the potatoes are growing like crazy, we have had perfect growing weather a little rain, a little sun and heat. On that note the grass loves it too! I started cutting it last week and then half way through the one side decided to stop and watch the hockey game thinking that I would finish it the next day. Well of course we ended up getting rain for three or four days and by the time I could get cutting again it was really high and still wet. On Sunday I started cutting at nine am and didn't finish until 10 that night. Talk about tired at the end of that but the forecast had been calling for rain so didn't want to leave it go any longer. It is all done now and go figure I have had lots of cutting opportunities since then.

My youngest sister turned 40 on the 8th of June. Wow I still remember rocking her when she was a baby and I think I thought she was my personal dolly. Always rather protective of her and in fact when I was young used to have a recurring dream that I was on one side of a lake and she was being held in a rocking chair by an old witch like woman who kept cackling and I couldn't get over there to rescue her. I would wake up crying each time. I don'’t even remember when the dreams finally went away but they lasted for quite a few years off and on.

I too had a birthday since posting and turned the big 48, I still remember when I was a kid thinking that 50 was old but now that I am so close it seems still very young. Then you have my parents who are a huge inspiration. They are retired but you wouldn't know it, they work harder now then ever and I know I could never accomplish everything they do in a day. They keep their place immaculate and have to work day and night to do so.

I have been riding quite a bit and have helped with three cattle drives in the last month.
The first one I didn't realize they would be using horses so I left Prettygirl at home and they put me on Buddy. Buddy is over 20 and is a cruise control horse.

My youngest son and daughter in law came for my birthday and we all got to go help move the cattle.




They thought that was pretty cool. I rode Prettygirl, hubby rode one of Brian's horses, and they rode a couple of Al's horses. It was a great day and Prettygirl did ok once she settled in. I am sure that moving cattle has been bred into her as she seems to know what to do. It was awesome for her as there is always so much activity on those rides that it is helping condition her to not be so spooky and jumpy.


This Cody and Prettygirl meeting

My daughter in law spoilt me the whole weekend and I didn't have to cook one meal, they took care of everything. They even brought the food. What a treat.

I finally went and looked at the saddles at a second hand tack shop and found one. I was so excited about it and this past Saturday I was able to put it to the test. We started moving cattle at around 8 in the morning. They were moved to a piece of land 6 miles away, then we rode another few miles where some cattle had to be treated. We were just about done chasing and treating cows when neighbor showed up and said that some of the calves that we had moved in the morning had escaped and were heading for home, so we had to ride down to find them to chase them back. At this point I must note that my butt was really starting to feel sore and the thought of riding much more was becoming painful.

Al went home and got his horse trailer and a couple of others had quads so they went on ahead and by the time we got there one of the calves had been reunited with his Mom and the others were already back at home. Al loaded the horses and trailered us to the corner and then I rode the rest of the way home where I turned out a very tired and well behaved Prettygirl out to pasture. I felt such great relief in getting my walking legs back. They had invited everyone over for lunch and over lunch Al decided that since he had a full crew there he might as well make use of us all and move around the remaining cows. I said I would help thinking he meant to put me on a quad, but he put me on Buddy and we went for another two hours. We didn't finish until four that afternoon.
Well let me tell you four days later I am finally thinking that riding would be fun again.
The new saddle is awesome and I returned Al's to him yesterday.
Hubby will be home for three days this weekend so will try and get some riding in then. I am hooked!

Well that pretty much catches me up on the news from the ranch. Take care all.

2 comments:

Doolittle Ranch said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes. It has been a fun month and busy.
Will try to update more often again so the next one might not be so long.
Take care

Kyahgirl said...

Great post!
Happy birthday too.

That picture of your niece is just beautiful (where the dog is laying besider her).

Its sounds wonderful, the whole 'life'. Good for you.