Doolittle Ranch

Welcome!

Friday, November 02, 2007

Still alive and well

Hey all!, well wonders never cease and here I am.

I ended up with that awful cold for over a month and am finally feeling so much better.

Well not too much new at the ranch, I have been working lots of hours this month so haven't had too much time to do the blog thing.


I got to go on a couple of cattle runs and spent two days helping treat cows, which involved fairly long days. We started at 9 in the morning on the first day and didn't finish until almost seven. Then instead of taking Prettygirl home I let her have a sleep over in Al's nice warm barn as we were going to start early the next morning. She had worked up a really good sweat working all day so it was nice to be able to put her inside out of the wind and cold, I am now so anxious to have ours done.

The next day we started at around 9:30 and were finished by two in the afternoon which was nice cause I was fairly stiff from the day before. That first day we did two really big herds which involved moving them from one pasture down a road and into a large corral, where they were all sorted and counted (that was my job) and then treated for parasites as well as any other medical procedures as required. Then they had to be moved back to the pasture and then went to get the next herd and the same process took place. I must say I was impressed how they have it down to a fine art of sorting and treating and both days were really fun. All in all I think I spent about five hours in the saddle the first day and the second probably two. Prettygirl sure did well and made me so proud of her, she has come a long way since we first started out together.

The barn is progressing really slow, we got the framing done and now have to start building trusses. Hubby has been away from home every week so far and only home on the weekends and not even the whole weekend so everything has reached as standstill for awhile. If the weather holds we may be able to start on the first truss tomorrow but tonight we had some fluffy flakes so we might wake up to a white ground tomorrow. I am so not ready for winter and am dreading it so much. This morning I had to haul water to the horses for the first time, usually I wait until it warms up during the day and use the hose but today it was frozen too hard and they were out of water.

Halloween night I ended up having only three little goblins (my neighbours kids) come for a visit so they got a full bag as I purchased so much candy. I love seeing the little kids out for Halloween, they are so cute. My grand kids called and they were having so much fun and the little guy was just so excited to be able to tell me about the loot he had hauled in.




Well will finish up with a few pictures I have taken in the last little while.
Take care all, bye for now.











This is where we are at right now.






We let the horses out in the main yard to eat the grass, they lasted about an hour then started getting into trouble so had to go back to the pasture..








Unhappy about being kicked out and back to the pasture.







This is my handsome boy Link.




Prettygirl having a bad hair day!





This is Copper the Queen of the herd.









Couldn't get a picture of Mystery by herself but will try again this weekend.

No comments: