Doolittle Ranch

Welcome!

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Finally a post

Well here we are in May 2010, so much for my promise to update on a regular basis. Way too many things to catch up on. 
The ranch has two new residents. Let me introduce you to Stripes. 



Stripes came to us over a year ago as a visitor to our barn, he was feral when he first started coming around so we started leaving food out for him. Before too long every time we would open the door he would be sitting there waiting for us and became very friendly. We took him in to get neutered in November and then brought him into the house. Sam was really not impressed and had some pretty major hissy fits. Now let me tell you, I had used the term hissy fit before but never really understood what a true hissy fit was! The first few weeks were rough but now they are tolerating each other for the most part and Stripes is finally allowed to sleep on the bottom of the bed. Sam pretends he doesn't know he is there. It is funny. 

We also have a new horse; he is here for hubby to try out before deciding if we will purchase him or not. What do you think? Of course we have fallen in love. His name is Rusty and he is an appaloosa gelding. (Picture to follow)



Our riding arena is finally boarded and we have been using it regularly.  We usually ride in the arena for awhile and then head out to ride around the property. 
One of my neighbours comes and rides Copper I ride Prettygirl and hubby of course rides Rusty. When we are all together we let Mystery run along with us and she is so darn cute. She stops to eat along the way and then gallops to catch up to us, runs past and then head down and eats again. I really want to get a video of her and when I do I will post it.  

I also have some sad news. We lost two out of the remaining three chickens the first cold spell we had this winter, leaving one poor chicken alone. Needless to say she became even more of a pet than she was already. Every morning I would get up and look out the window and she would be pacing up and down the deck until I would throw her some goodies out the door. Well recently we got this big brain wave to build a loft for the hay and moved a lot of the hay up there. She had been using the hay to climb up on and sleep in the rafters of the barn. The night we moved the hay she came into the barn and seemed to be confused about how to get up there. I put her in the chicken house (she had spent the winter in there) and left for the night. In the morning she wasn’t on the deck like normal so I went out to see where she was. After a long search we found a bunch of feathers out the back so imagine a fox came in and took her. I of course felt very guilty as I should have locked her in her house for a few nights until she got used to not being able to climb up to the rafters. I still miss her and it doesn’t seem the same not to have her cruising around the yard.

Well will sign off for now and try to post some pictures with this. 

1 comment:

Loner said...

Not sure if you are still posting these days, but I opened a new blog from the Loner's Ridge Days. Hope to see you soon - Stace